MY WEIGHT LOSS PROGRESS

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What have I learned?

Reading another blog gave me something to think about.  What have I learned since I started running?  The list would probably be pretty long.  I know that I wanted to run for a while but never thought I could really do it.  I always felt I was too fat even though some of my childhood pictures do not show an overweight kid. But somewhere I got the idea that I was fat and ugly.  But I was neither.  I eventually did become fat but I am currently taking care of that situation.  I have lost almost 40 pounds and I am working on losing more that that.  I have around 100 to lose in all. 

I first started running to lose weight but that didn't happen.  I trained with the Galloway Program at our local YMCA to run a 10K but at the last minute I chickened out and did the 5K walk and I thought I was going to die!  Literally!  But I survived and crossing that first finish line and getting that first piece of medal really moved me!  I felt like I had really accomplished something...and I did.  At that moment I was no longer the fat, lazy kid that only wanted to sit on the cough and watch TV and stuff my face.  I enjoyed the running so much that I motivated people to come along with me adding several friends to my group of running buddies on Saturday.  One special friend, Linda, got the running bug big time and is doing great! She was the first one to encourage me to try for a half marathon.  I said, "no way"!  "Not me"!  But guess what?  I decided I could at least try.  I had always heard what did not kill me would only make me stronger.  I told Linda I would do if she would do it with me. So that is how that got started.  We trained with the Galloway Program to run a half and in December of 2009 we DID IT!  We ran our first half, The St. Jude Half Marathon in Memphis Tn.  But to top it all off, my son and his wife trained and they ran it too!  We had a blast.

I started my running career in February of 2009.  I have run a race almost every month since then.  I had hoped to lose lots of weight by running but I am a heavy, slow runner so I don't suppose I burn many calories but that's okay.  I can tell my endurance is getting better each day.  And at first I still ate like I always had.  But after doing the half, I realized that I wanted to beat that time so I have gotten serious about my eating. I am trying to eat healthy and not eat the fast foods like I used to.  So far this year I have lost 12 pounds total.  I have a hard time keeping a balance between eating to lose weight and eating to have enough energy to run but I must be doing fairly well since I am able to keep up with the running and am losing weight now too. It doesn't get much better than that!!  

In my short span of running I have learned:
1. I can do anything I put my mind to. 
2. Not to let what other people think about me keep me from doing what I want and need to do. 
3. There are lots of awesome runners out there who are very supportive of us beginners. 
4. Just because I run/walk doesn't mean I am not a runner. 
5. Just because I am overweight doesn't mean I can't be active and healthy. 
6. A good pair of shoes is important.
7. I build great friendships by running with others.
8. Encouraging others to exercise and get healthy is just as much fun as doing it myself! 
9. God does cares about what I consider the "little things". 
10. I CAN do all things through Christ who gives me STRENGTH.
11. I love myself today and because of that, I can love others unconditionally. 

I am sure there are many other things that I can't think of right now.   I know that today I feel 100% better than I have in my whole life. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or compulsively overeat anymore.  And I am a runner who is on the verge of losing more weight and getting faster!  Each day gets better and better.  I couldn't ask for much more than that.

MAKE it a great day friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment